PLRD Requirement for Licensed Security Officers
- The licensee shall be :
- above the age of 16;
- certified by a medical doctor to be physically fit for work as security officer and certified annually as such if they are above the age of 60 years;
- able to submit the medical certificate as and when required for inspection by officers from the Police Licensing & Regulatory Department (PLRD);
- The licence to work as a security officer is valid for 5 years from the date of approval by Police Licensing & Regulatory Department (PLRD). For Non permanent residents and Malaysians, the licence will be suspended if he/she is no longer working as a security officer after one month;
- Non permanent residents and Malaysian applicants shall submit their Certificate of Good Conduct (also commonly known as Certificate of No Criminal Conviction) and a copy of their valid work permit to PLRD for application of the licence. This also applies when he/she changes employers and resides beyond Singapore for more than one month;
- Unless exempted, the licensee must obtain the following Workforce Skills Qualification (WSQ) certification:
- Provide Guard and Patrol Services; and
- Handle Security Incidents And Services;
- If he/she is deployed as a security supervisor, he/she must obtain additional WSQ certification on Supervise Security Officers (Formerly known as NSRS Supervise Security Activities);
- The licensee, who does not meet the training requirements shall be given a period of 3 months to complete and pass the prerequisite WSQ modules. He/she shall submit this WSQ certificate to PLRD not later than 3 months from the date of approval. Failing to do so will result in the licence being revoked;
- The licensee shall comply with the Code of Conduct;
- The licensee shall not be involved in any debt collection business;
- The licensee shall surrender the Security Identification Card to Police Licensing & Regulatory Department (PLRD) when he/she is no longer approved to work as a security officer;
- If the licensee is approved to work as a security screener at the airport without attaining the training requirements in the above para 4 and 5, the licensee shall only be allowed to work as a security screener at the airport;
- The licensee shall ensure that approval from the Licensing Officer is given for the use of patrol dogs1 prior to deployment. If approval is given, the licensee shall ensure that he complies with the following requirements:
- All patrol dogs must be screened and approved by the Police K9 Dog Unit / AVA (Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore);
- Only patrol dogs and dog handlers2 who have been duly certified3 by the Police K9 Dog Unit can be deployed. If the patrol dogs are used for detecting explosives, the patrol dogs and dog handlers would need to be certified by the Police K9 Dog Unit for the specific purpose of the detection of explosives before they can be deployed;
- A patrol dog must be handled by a dog handler who is certified by Police K9 Dog Unit as possessing the ability and skill to control the patrol dog (“certified dog handler”);
- Appropriate signs must be displayed at all the entrances and exits of the premises to warn the public of the presence of patrol dogs; and
- The certified dog handler must always be with his patrol dog when the dog is deployed, even when it is on static duties.
- Security Officers (SOs) shall be required to obtain the requisite Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) certifications, if they are deployed to perform security screening using either WTMDs; HHMDs or X-ray machines.
- If he/she is deployed to conduct security screening using X-ray machines, the licensee shall obtain the additional WSQ certification on “Conduct security screening using X-ray machine”.
- If he/she is deployed to conduct security screening using Walk-through/Handheld Metal Detectors (WTMD/HHMD), the licensee shall obtain the additional WSQ certification on “Conduct security screening of person and bag”.
- Licensed SOs who have already obtained certification in the WSQ module “Conduct Security Screening” or meeting the requirements of the “Security Screening Function Course” by Airport Police Division will be exempted from the conditions stated in paragraph 12. SOs will be required to submit the necessary documents in order to be exempted.
- The licensee shall not be employed as a security officer by more than two employers at any one time
Issued by Licensing Officer
Police Licensing & Regulatory Department
Dated: 15 August 2012
- Patrol dogs are dogs used for patrolling or guarding of property to ensure the security of the area. As part of their functions, patrol dogs may also be used to detect explosives, weapons, firearms and controlled drugs.
- Only the certified dog handler for the particular patrol dog is allowed to handle the patrol dog. The dog handler must also be a licensed security officer.
- The certification given to the patrol dog and the dog handler will be valid for one year from the date of certification. The certification will also cease when the dog handler is no longer a licensed security officer.
Prior to deployment, all approved security officers are required to pass the following NSRS module or WSQ statement of attainment :
- Provide Guard and Patrol Services; and
- Provide Incident Management Services or Handle Security Incidents And Services
Applicants who have passed only one of the 2 modules will be deemed untrained security officers and will be in breach of the Licensing Conditions if he is deployed.
Applicants who fulfill the criteria below may apply for an exemption from the training requirements for security officers. Exemption will be granted at the discretion of the Licensing Officer.
Applicants who qualify as trained or exempted security officers, by the criteria set forth above may, upon completion of the following additional NSRS module or WSQ statement of attainment:
- Supervise Security Officers / Supervise Security Activities.
to be considered trained security supervisors.
Applicants who fulfill the criteria below may apply for exemption from the training requirements for security supervisors. Exemption will be granted at the discretion of the Licensing Officer. All exempted security supervisors are deemed exempted officers.
PERSONS WHO MAY BE EXEMPTED FROM TRAINING REQUIREMENT FOR SECURITY OFFICER
- Former Auxiliary Police Officers who have completed and passed the Basic Auxiliary Police Officer Course conducted by CISCO or AETOS APF Training School.- Former uniformed commissioned officer / uniformed senior officer / other ranks from the Singapore Police Force (SPF), the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB), the Singapore Prison Service (Prisons), the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), the Corrupt Practices Investigations Bureau (CPIB).- Those who have completed Full-time / Part-time National Service in the SPF.
- Those who have completed Full-time National Service in the SCDF.
- Volunteer Special Constabulary (VSC) officers from SPF.
- Former regular uniformed commissioned officer / other ranks from the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).
- SAF full-time National Servicemen who had served full-time NS in the vocation of Military Police or Regimental Police.
- Person who has passed the Essential Security Guarding at Group 4 CISCO Training before 1 Jan 96 .
- Person who has passed the Specialised Guarding Skill at Group 4 CISCO Training before 1 Jan 96 .
- Person who has passed the Advance Security Course at APRO Asian Protection Pte Ltd before 1 Jan 96 .
- Person who has passed the Basic Protection Officer Course at APRO Asian Protection Pte Ltd before 1 Nov 2002.
- Person who has passed the Basic Security Training Course at APRO Asian Protection Pte Ltd before 1 Nov 2002 .
- Person who has passed the 2-day Basic Security Course Examination organised by ACSA or SAS and certified by SHRI or RELC before 1 Nov 2002 .
- Person who has passed the Certificate in Hotel Security Operations organised by the SHATEC before 1 Jan 1998.
- Those with security-related academic qualifications or work experiences may write in to Licensing Officer for permission to be assessed via the ASSESSMENT ONLY PATHWAY (AOP).
PERSONS WHO MAY BE EXEMPTED FROM TRAINING REQUIREMENT FOR SUPERVISORS
S/No Criteria for Exemption
- Former regular officers or current reserve officers who have attained the rank of Staff Sergeant and above with the SPF, VSC, CNB or any Auxiliary Police Force.
- Supervisor who has passed the Supervising Security Activities at Group 4 CISCO Training before 1 Aug 2004 .
- Supervisor who has passed the Security Supervisors Course Examination certified by SHRI or RELC before 1 Aug 2004 .
- Supervisor who has passed the Security Managers and Chief Security Officers Course at APRO Asian Protection Pte Ltd before 1 Aug 2004.
- Person who has a Diploma in Police Studies and Security Management offered by Temasek Polytechnic.
- Person who has a Diploma in Security & Fire Safety Management offered by Temasek Polytechnic.
- Person who is deployed at a hotel and has passed the Certificate in Hotel Security Management organised by the SHATEC before 1 Jan 1998.
Last updated on 1 November 2011